GREENUP COUNTY REAL PROPERTY DEED IMAGES
1838 Map of Greenup County
Deed Index Book 1
1803 - 1868
Deed Books A through P
(will open in a new tab)
From 1803 to 1838, what is now northern Carter Co. was part of Greenup Co., Ky.
This deed index coveres that period of time. Early Carter deeds transferred property
that was originally purchased using a Greenup Co. deed.
Individual Deed Images and Transcriptions
Note, other than for a few of my known Carter Co. families, it's very difficult to identify which Greenup Co. deeds
are for properties that became part of Carter Co. after 1838. One may note that, in this period, almost all deeds
reference the town of Greenupsburg, a creek or a river. The interior of the county was apparently still sparsely populated.
Early Greenup Co. deed index entries don't make any reference to identifiable landmarks that would
facilitate identifying them as eventual parts of Carter County.
I compared the names on the 1830 Greenup Co. census with the names on the 1840 Carter Co. census. Where I found
matching names, I placed a "star" next to the name on the 1830 census image. Where there were obvious groupings of
"starred" names, I assumed that these individuals were living in a part of Greenup Co. that was absorbed into Carter Co.
when it was created in 1838. I then imaged the deeds associated with these matching names, as well as the deeds for the
names of people living near them at the time of the 1830 census. I am analyzing those deeds for Carter Co. landmarks.
I will also compare the Greenup Co. deed property descriptions for properties owned by people with the same surname
among the early Carter Co. deeds, to see if there are any property description matches. The ideal outcome would be to
be able to trace property ownership from early Greenup Co. deeds through to current day Carter Co. deeds.
1839 Carter County Tax List
Probable Carter Co. People on the 1830 Greenup Co. Census
Probable Carter Co. Deed Landmarks Cited
Brush Creek - Greenup Co.
Barretts Creek - Carter Co.
Camp Branch - TBD
Evermans Creek - Carter Co.
Little Sandy River - Greenup & Carter Co.
East Fork of the Little Sandy - Greenup Co.
Little/Big Sinking Creek - Carter Co.
Upper/Lower Sinking Branch - Carter Co.
Smiths Branch - Greenup Co. (also Smiths Creek in Carter Co.)
Soldier Branch - Carter Co.
Stinsons Creek - Carter Co.
Straight Creek - Carter Co.
Trough Branch - Greenup Co. (also a Trough Camp Branch in Carter Co.)
Tygarts Creek - Greenup & Carter Co.
South Fork of Tygarts Creek - Carter Co.
Williams Creek - Carter Co.
Note from Patricia Myers:
"The earliest I could find mention of land transferred from Grayson to others was 1805:"
1805 Grayson to Amose Kibbe - A24
1805 Grayson to Jacob Everman - B79
1812 Grayson to Amos Kibbe - B82
1812 Grayson to William Lowry & wife Betsey - B85
1816 Grayson to Moses Kibbe (Barrett's Creek) - C94
1816 Grayson to Moses Kibbe - C96
1816 Grayson to John Everman - C98
1816 Grayson to Jacob Everman - C100
Early Property Surveys and Deeds Recorded by George James
Submitted by: Patty Townsend
George James was born 16 September 1797 in Fleming,Co., Ky and died 16 January 1855 at Tygarts Creek, Carter Co., Ky.
1803-1810 - Deed Book A is missing
- Book A Page 314 George James survey of 150 acres recorded 1 October 1839 (may be in present Carter Co.), mapped
- Book C Page 120 Thomas Rawlings to Samuel Lewis, lot #65 - to be imaged again
- Book D Page 96 John Miller to Horatio Catlett, 125 acres, Big Sandy River
- Book D Page 100 Richard Stevenson, Power of Attorney, 3,928 acres - John Offill/Thompson deed not found
- Book D Page 131 Thomas Williams to Thomas Ward, Little Sandy River & Town Creek
- Book D Page 146 Thomas L. Schreeves to John Scott, 365, 109, 112, 100, 60, 159, 116.75, 75, 100, 4 lots
and slaves named Loust, Moses, Harry, Bob, Ben, Jack, John Farro, Bite, Mase, Jacob, Little Mary, Rose, Bet, Eliza, Big Barbara,
Little Barbara, Big Mary Eomans, Caroline Ainsley, Nell and her children, George, Berry, Betty, Bitty, Cronce,
Betty Memory, Tom, Ally, Daisey, Amy, Arnolt, Amacy, Chloe, Neo, Jim, Mole, Dick and Little Till and the children of the families in-sasa(sp?).
- Book D Page 155 Andrew Hood to Zacharia Riggs,
Fork of the Little Sandy River & Brush Creek
- Book D Page 168 John Story to Phillip Boyd et al, Barretts Creek, probable Grayson map property - to be mapped
- Book D Page 281 James Ward to Joseph McMurtry, 138 acres, Little Sandy River
- Book D Page 291 John Everman to Samuel Everman, 95.75 & 100 acres, Barretts Creek & Little Sandy River
- Book D Page 316 Elizabeth Lewis to John T. Johnson, Ohio River, by deed dated the 8th day of January 1786
- Book D Page 323 John N. Offill to William Richards (?), County of Carter, Eagle Creek
- Book D Page 337 William Richards to Callahan Wigglesworth (??), personal property
- Book D Page 349 Gibley to Jesse England, Little Sandy crossroads at Barretts Creek, 125 & 145 acres
- Book D Page 414 John Young to James Callihan - not expected John Fowler to Lewis heirs
- Book D Page 424 George James to John Young, 139.25 acres, Bull Camp Branch of Tygarts Creek
- Book D Page 464 John Johnson to James H. Waring, Big Whie Oak Creek - Riley McGuire to Thomas Scott (not found)
- Book D Page 483 John C. Kouns to Martin Smith, "for my wife, a woman of colour" - expected James deed not found
- Book D Page 485 Thomas Rigg to John Hartwell(sp?) - expected James Richards deed not found
- Book D Page 497 Andrew Hord to Jeremiah Rigg, East Fork of the Little Sandy
- Book D Page 500 Horratio Catlett to George Rigg, 227 acres, Big Sandy River
- Book D Page 501 Joseph McMurtry and Joseph R. Ward to James Ward, 413.5 acres, Little Sandy River
- Book D Page 504 John Young to Polly N. Lewis(?), west fork of the Little Sandy River
- Book D Page 512 Milton Lewis heirs to Charles Lewis, Little Sandy, "a negro named Lloyd"
- Book D Page 520 Thomas Williams, "negroes named Tom, Walker, Page, Ben, George Nailer, Anthony, Daniel Ball,
Rachel, Mary, Jane, Lemuel, Lucy, John Kenny, Mary, Rachel, Morton, George, an infant"
- Book E Page 36 Jacob Clingman to Emfise A. McGee, "Enterprise Iron Works"
- Book E Page 85 Randolph Smith to James McGlone, 50 acres, Tygarts Creek - to be mapped
- Book E Page 86 William Everman to Jesse England, 150 aces, Evermans Creek
- Book E Page 89 William Richards to Samuel Brammer, south fork of Tygarts Creek
- Book E Page 125 William Richards to John Thompson, 200 acres, Tygarts Creek
- Book E Page 132 Christian Schultz William Richards, 100 acres, Tygarts Creek
- Book E Page 166 John Elliott to John Offill, 56 acres, south fork of Tygarts Creek
- Book E Page 213 Lamark Virgin et al to Lamack Virgin, 140 acres, Barretts Creek
- Book E Page 218 John C. Kouns to John W. Smith, Greenupsburgh - expected Thomas L. Hord deed not found
- Book E Page 237 William L.Pogue to Thomas McCleese, 277 acres, Grassy Fork of Buffalo Creek - to be mapped
- Book E Page 248 William B. Poage to Jonathan Madden, 100 acres, Three Prong Branch of Tygart Creek
- Book E Page 300 George N. Davis to Robert Henderson, 50 acres, Corey Branch, - to be mapped
- Book E Page 312 Gabriel Scott to Phillip Hanson, 50 acres, Trough Camp!!!!, mapped - to be imaged again
- Book E Page 355 John Miller to Alexander Davis, East Fork of the Little Sandy
- Book E Page 363 John M. McConnell to Jesse England, 50 acres, Tygarts Creek
- Book E Page 368 Christopher Spangler to Charles Rigg, East Fork of the Little Sandy
- Book E Page 374 John Young to Jeremiah Moore, Tygarts Creek - expected William Everman - Jesse England deed not found
- Book E Page 388 John Young to Gabriel Scott, 31 & 28 acres, location unspecified
- Book E Page 544 Joseph W. Ward, Milton Lewis et al to William Hampton, Big Sandy River
- Book F Page 3 Clifton A. Garrett to Robert D. Stockton,
the frst revine which crosses the road from the Courthouse to the first great falls of Little Sandy River at the mouth
of the firat revine at which the Catarach forge is built - to be mapped
- Book F Page 23 Cyrus Jones to James L. Hyde, Brushy Fork of Tygarts Creek
- Book F Page 24 Manlius Wigglesworth to Thomas Haili, Sugar Camp Branch
- Book F Page 110 Gabriel Scott to Robert Chapman, Dry Fork of the Lower Sinking Fork of the Little Sandy
- Book F Page 111 Gabriel Scott to Franklin Cummings, Sugar Camp Fork of the Lower Sinking Fork of the Little Sandy
- Book F Page 206 Thomas Miller to Reuben Underwood, Soldier Branch - to be mapped
- Book F Page 207 Reuben Underwood to William B. Belknap, Upper Sinking Branch
- Book F Page 208 James Richards to William B. Belknap, Tygarts Creek and Sinking Creek
- Book F Page 235 William G. Carter to James Clark, 187 acres, Barretts Creek
- Book F Page 289 Dillon to George Washington Thompson, 150 acres, Ohio River, opposite the mouth of the Scioto, one mile below Portsmouth
- Book F Page 298 John O. H.Gibbs to William Thompson, west side of Tygarts Creek
- Book F Page 323 John C. Kouns to Jacob Kouns, 125 acres, Chadwicks Creek, Oakland Furnace
- Book F Page 381 James Reed to Thomas Scott for James Reed, 800 acres, no landmarks
- Book F Page 418 Maps of Grayson, Ky. !!! - S. Dummit (E-79/no), David L. Ward (C-58, C-447, D-12/no, D-122/no, D-325/?-326/?-327/no, D-283/no),
William Lowry (B-81, B-85, C-436, C-438, D-169/no), M. Lowry, James Lowry (C-65), M. Siblo, R. Parks, S. Stratton (B-138, C-70, C-72, C-118, C-128, C-147, C-190, C-217, C-373, C-435, D-6/?, D-34, D-169, D-183), R. H. Grayson, M.Kibby, John Story (D-168/match?),
G./L. Everman (C-404, D-291, D-296, E-86, C-98, C-100, D-291, D-296, E-374)
Jonathan James (B-88?, D-424?, E-113, E-230), C. N. Lewis (B-90, C-91, G-155), George Palmer (Williams Creek), Carter (B-95?, B-154, B-121, B-162, B-223, D-179, D-359, D-368, D-383, D-468, E-118, E-243, E-244, E-422, E-470, E-476, E-477, E-478, E-521, E-535, F-25, F-116, F-187, F-203, F-233, F-235, F-236, F-238, F-302, F-419, F-426, F-438, F-441, F-446, F-472, F-482), Carter Gill
- Book F Page 419 William Ward to Robert Carter, William G. Carter and Alfred G. Carter, April 6, 1838, Williams Creek
- Book F Page 444 William Richards to John Thompson, Smith Branch of Tygart Creek
- Book F Page 445 Robert Henderson to R. H. Perry, Camp Branch - to be mapped
- Book F Page 475 James Bell to Jefferson Clark, "a negro man named Jim" ("set free an negro named Tom Hunt")
- Book F Page 477 James Ward to John Nevet, Little Sinking Creek of the Little Sandy
- Book F Page 496 Catherine Geiger to Thomas Ward, Little Sandy, ref. Thomas Richards
- Book F Page 500 Johnson & Galloway to Charles N. Lewis, 275 acres, Little Sandy
- Book F Page 503 John Young to George James, Lower Sinking - not expected Robert Gee deed
- Book F Page 506 John Young to Thomas Ward, 150, 13, 109 & 30 acres, north side of state road, salt peter cave on Tygarts Creek - to be mapped
- Book F Page 511 Benjamin Powell to Samuel Powell, East Fork of the Little Sandy
- Book F Page 513 John Young to James McKoy et al, 2,826 acres, Williams Creek & the East Fork of the Little Sandy
- Book F Page 517 Elijah Rice to Thomas Moran, 50 acres, Straight Creek & Williams Creek - to be mapped
- Book G Page 4 George Lewis heirs to A. Morton, Ohio River, mouth of Tygart Creek, no useable calls
- Book G Page 7 Albert G. Duprey to John Brown, John Richards to Daniel L. Clifton deed not found
- Book G Page 58 not expected deed - George Lewis heirs to George W. Thompson
- Book G Page 64 George Lewis heirs to Anthony Thompson, same as Deed Book G Page 62
- Book G Page 69 George Lewis heirs to Robert laughlin, location indefinite
- Book G Page 122 Samuel Richards to George Corwine, 5 acres, opposite the town of Portsmouth
1846 - 1848 (no Deed Book I? Deed Book J is missing)
- Book K Page 179 Jacob Applegate to Andrew Applegate, 20 acres, Little White Oak Creek
- Book K Page 412 John Powell to George Wurt, 33 acres, East Fork of Little Sandy
- Book L Page 19 Lewis D. Ross to John Bell, one fourth of Pennsylvania Furnace, ref. Deed Book I page 263
- Book L Page 51 Lewis D. Ross to John Bell, one fourth of Pennsylvania Furnace
- Book L Page 84 Robinson M. Biggs to Lewis D. Ross, Greenupsburg lot 36 & 37
- Book O Page 138 Hiram Campbell to Amanda Jane Alese (sp?), town lot, Greenupsburg