From the Louisville Journal, Oct, 12

The loyal people of Carter County have seen hard times during the past fortnight. On the (?) inst. Col. S. EIFORT received information that 
the town of Grayson had been taken by the rebels on the previous evening. Arrangements were speedily effected to guard all the roads leading 
from Grayson to Boone Furnace and Olive Hill; 200 men were posted on the State road from Grayson to Owingsville, 75 on the road leading to 
the furnace, while about 100 were placed on another road leading to the same point, and 60 held as a reserve. During the day it became known 
that the rebels were 1,000 strong (hard to read but believe it is 1,000) were coming up, and as (several words not readable) were not known, 
a close watch was (unreadable) there movements. About sundown the whole party left Grayson by way of Olive Hill, and encamped some ten miles 
distant, at the Bullís Eye Spring. Their pickets advanced as far as Tyart Creek Bridge, within musket shot of the Home Guard pickets. In the 
morning the rebels advanced and commenced destroying property by burning houses, hay, and grain-stacks for a distance of ten miles along the 
State Road. At Olive Hill they burned the house and store of Hon. Wm. C. Grier, State Senator, taking his sick wife out of doors and making 
him a prisoner. The fight at this time had become general between the Home Guards and the rebels, the latter having been bushwhacked from all 
sides, and losing some thirty killed between Olive Hill and Graverís Hill. From this point to the head of Tyartís Creek they fell into the 
hands of GEORGE UNERWOOD, with another Home Guard, and he made them leave at double quick, killing forty or fifty of their number. Whenever 
the scoundrels would get surrounded, they would hoist a white flag, but this shameful trick was soon found out, and UNDERWOOD gave orders not 
to respect it. The rebels burned forty-five houses in a distance of ten miles, and all the forage and grain. We are happy to state that 
Mr. Grier made his escape in the confusion. 

A second raid was made on the 4th inst. by TRIGGíS Virginia guerrillas, for the purpose of avenging themselves on Col. EIFORT, who has been 
a terror to them for a year past. When they made the attack the Colonel was absent, having gone to Portsmouth, Ohio, after assistance, and 
they destroyed his property to the amount of $3,000. As the Colonel was returning from Portsmouth he met his family on foot, making their way 
to the river, having been driven from their homes by the fiends. Since the rebellion commenced Col. EIFORT has suffered in losses and the 
stoppage of his business to the amount of $10,000. He is now at Louisville, trying to get assistance to rid Eastern Kentucky of these thieves 
and incendiaries. We hope he may succeed; the section needs aid, and Col. EIFORT is the very man to render it available if it can be secured. 

Submitted by: David Tucker

 Back to the Military Records Main Page